Welcome to Gifted Education
What is "Giftedness?"
The Tolleson Elementary School District identifies a gifted student as one who has demonstrated advanced cognitive abilities by scoring a 95% or higher on the State approved CogAt in the area(s) of verbal, nonverbal, or/and quantitative.
The Tolleson Elementary School District provides gifted services to those who have demonstrated superior intellect and/or advanced learning ability who are not afforded an opportunity for otherwise attainable progress and development in regular classroom instruction and who needs appropriate gifted education services, to achieve at levels commensurate with the child's intellect and ability.
Who is Eligible?
Identification criteria consists of a referral by a teacher, a parent, or self. The evaluation process consists of a review of the state mandated assessments, teacher rating scale, and the Cognitive Ability Test. The criteria for eligibility on standardized assessments are scores at or above the 95th percentile.
The TESD gifted program services K-8 gifted and talented students by:
- Clustering gifted students
- Regular education teachers differentiate instruction
- Communicating with teachers to incorporate grade level standards and integrate gifted standards
- Implementing a pull-out program 1 hour a week per group
Specific gifted instructional strategies:
- Project based projects that include analytical problem solving, creativity, and complex/critical thinking
- Social and emotional strategies/activities
- Collaboration that allows students to draw on their strengths and work through their challenges
Gifted Program Exit Criteria
A student may exit the gifted program at the request of the parent or guardian per written documentation.
Dr. Desiree Kennedy
District Wide Gifted Teacher/Coordinator
Gifted Program Awards
Arizona State Gifted Grant 2018
Arizona State Gifted Grant 2019
Arizona State Gifted Grant 2020
Desert Oasis Odyssey of the Mind 4th Place - 2020
Arizona Desert Odyssey of the Mind 5th Place - 2020
Fiesta Bowl Grant Recipient ($1,000) - 2020
Westside Impact Grant Recipient ($800) - 2020