The Tolleson Elementary School District believes that Together We Make A Difference and through Expecting Excellence and Inspiring Innovation, we will Achieve Greatness. We are a school district united by a community that spans from the west side of Phoenix across the City of Tolleson, from 83rd Avenue to 107th Avenue, and from Thomas Road on the north to Buckeye Road on the south.
We boast the best of both worlds, a “small town feel” on the edge of a major metropolitan city. Being a “small” school district is what makes us special as we have the ability to quickly collaborate, adapt and implement effective ideas, maintain a flexible and innovative school environment, respond to the needs of each and every parent and student, and build strong relationships to support our families and community.
All of our teachers are highly qualified, and our four elementary schools are all achieving at or above State standards as defined by the Arizona Department of Education (ADE). In addition to our academic performance and after-school program, Tolleson Elementary School District offers many programs that set our schools apart, such as:
- Free full day kindergarten*
- Free before school programs at all schools
- Free after-school programs at two of our schools and options for the other two schools
- Jazz, mariachi, concert and marching band options for middle school students*
- Nutritional meals, including free breakfast in the classroom for every student and a supper program after school
- Physical education, art and technology classes (including basic coding)*
- Strong focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (S.T.E.M.) and academic competitions*
- School counselors at all schools*
- Social worker*
- Uniforms conducive to a safe and orderly environment
- Student and staff wellness programs
(*Thanks to the support of our community in passing the district’s overrides)
Our district also offers a school community health center for uninsured/underinsured students sponsored by the Banner Foundation through private donations. The Banner Children’s School-Based Heatlh Center is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It is located on the campus of Porfirio H. Gonzales Elementary School, 9401 W. Garfield Rd., Tolleson. For an appointment, please call (480) 412-6344.
We invite parents from any area, within our district’s borders and beyond, to enroll their children in one of our excellent community schools. To facilitate this process, our Welcome Center staff located on the campus of Porfirio H. Gonzales Elementary school is ready to assist with registration, address all your questions and needs in one place.
Dr. Lupita Hightower,